Adam O. Emmerich
Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz
Adam focuses primarily on mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance and securities law matters. His practice has included a broad and varied representation of public and private corporations and other entities in a variety of industries in the U.S. and globally, in connection with mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, spin-offs, joint ventures and financing transactions. He also has extensive experience in takeover defense.
Adam is recognized as one of the 500 leading lawyers in America by Lawdragon, one of the world’s leading lawyers in the field of Mergers and Acquisitions in Chambers and Partners, an expert in each of M&A, Corporate Governance and M&A in the real estate field by Who’s Who Legal, and as an expert both in M&A and in Corporate Governance by Euromoney Institutional Investor’s Expert Guides.
Among the transactions in which he has taken a leading role are: T-Mobile USA and Deutsche Telekom in the agreed $146 billion all-stock combination of T-Mobile and Sprint; Broadcom in its $147 billion proposal to acquire Qualcomm; Frutarom Industries Ltd in its $7.1 billion acquisition by IFF; Covidien plc in its $50 billion acquisition by Medtronic; Medtronic plc in its $6.1 billion sale of certain assets to Cardinal Health; Google in its participation in the Nortel patent auction; Tim Hortons in its $12.2 billion combination with Burger King; the board of Wyeth in its $68 billion acquisition by Pfizer; XPO Logistics in its acquisition of Norbert Dentressangle S.A. for €3.24 billion; Iscar / IMC International Metalworking Companies B.V. and the Wertheimer family in the acquisition by Berkshire Hathaway of an 80% interest in Iscar at a $5 billion enterprise value, and in Berkshire Hathaway’s subsequent $2.05 billion purchase of the remaining 20% interest; Mallinckrodt plc in its $5.6 billion acquisition of Questcor Pharmaceuticals, and its acquisitions of Cadence Pharmaceuticals, Ikaria, Therakos and Sucampo; AMB Property Corporation in its $15 billion merger with ProLogis, to create a REIT with assets owned and managed of $46 billion; the successful $6 billion unsolicited offer by Public Storage for Shurgard; Simon Property Group in connection with its offer to acquire General Growth Properties for $31 billion; Vornado, Starwood Capital and Walton Street in their $39 billion bid to buy Equity Office Properties; Regency Centers in its $15.6 billion merger with Equity One; Acciona in its €43.7 billion acquisition with Enel of Endesa and in relation to E.ON’s offer for Endesa; Faiveley Transport in its €1.7 billion sale to Wabtec Corp.; Dufry AG in its CHF 3.8 billion acquisition of World Duty Free S.p.A.; Publicis Groupe S.A. in its $3.7 billion acquisition of Sapient Corporation Casino Guichard Perrachon SA in connection with its acquisition of control of Grupo Pão de Açúcar, América Móvil, S.A.B. de C.V. in its acquisition of 21% of Telekom Austria AG; GlaxoSmithKline in its unsolicited offer and acquisition of Human Genome Sciences for $3.6 billion; Alcoa in the $14 billion investment in Rio Tinto by Chinalco and Alcoa; the acquisition by Wal-Mart of an interest in Seiyu in Japan; and MCA’s sale to Matsushita.
After serving as a law clerk to Judge Abner J. Mikva, of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, Adam joined the firm in 1986 and was named partner in 1991. He attended Swarthmore College and The University of Chicago, from which he received his J.D. with honors. While at the University of Chicago, Adam served as topics and comments editor of The University of Chicago Law Review, was elected to the Order of the Coif, and was the recipient of an Olin Fellowship in law and economics.