Tuesday, March 1, 2016
8:00AM – 9:00AM
REGISTRATION AND BREAKFAST
9:00AM – 9:20AM
WELCOME AND OPENING REMARKS
9:20AM – 9:40AM
GLOBAL OVERVIEW OF THE M&A MARKETS: $5T of Deals and other Metrics, Trends and Developments
Gregg R. Lemkau
Co-head of Global Mergers & Acquisitions, Goldman Sachs
9:40AM – 10:40AM
THE FUTURE OF THE EURO-ZONE AND INVESTMENT IN EUROPE
Sir Winfried Bischoff
Chairman, The Financial Reporting Council
Nigel P. G. Boardman
Partner, Slaughter and May (moderator)
Juan Luis Cebrián
Executive Chairman, Grupo Prisa (and editor-in-chief of El País and a board member of Le Monde)
special advisor to Jean-Claude Juncker
former Secretary-General of the European Commission
Sir Geoffrey Owen
Senior Fellow, Department of Management, London School of Economics
Baron David de Rothschild
Executive Chairman, Rothschild
10:40AM – 11:00AM
11:00AM – 12:15PM
HOT ISSUES IN GLOBAL CROSS-BORDER M&A
- Inversions and BEPS – Will the world ever be flat again?
- Activism – Only a rumoured U.S. export, or true contagion?
- Beer, budgeting and beyond – Are excess corporate savings, an aging population and cheap money the end of corporate growth? SABMiller and beyond.
- Volkswagen – A failure in governance, or just the latest voodoo invocation of “good governance" as the panacea for all problems?
- Airgas, Air Liquide – Long-term value creation and global consolidation; a lot more than hot air.
Scott D. Hoffman
General Counsel, Lazard
Head of Business Legal Department, Banco Santander, S.A.
Managing Partner, Masouros Law Firm
Assistant Professor of Corporate Law, Leiden University
Executive Vice President, General Counsel, Templeton International, Inc.
Stephen F. Mitchell
General Counsel, Genel Energy plc
Senior Partner, Brunswick Group LLC
12:15PM – 1:40PM
LUNCH – LUNCH ADDRESS:
CURRENT DEVELOPMENTS IN CHINA AND IMPLICATIONS FOR CROSS-BORDER BUSINESS
Dean, Peking University – Guanghua School of Management
1:45PM – 2:45PM
INVESTING EAST TO WEST — CHALLENGES AND OPPORTUNITIES
Bi Ming Qiang
Chairman, ICBC Standard Bank Plc (London)
Chairman, China and Managing Partner, Greater China, Ernst & Young
Chief, Legal & Group General Counsel, Tata Sons Limited
Professor, Cambridge’s Judge School of Business (moderator)
Partner, Key Accounts & Government Relations, Ernst & Young
President, OK Corporation
Managing Director, Global Co-President, and Global Head of Private Equity, Standard Chartered Private Equity
2:45PM – 3:00PM
3:00PM – 4:00PM
ACQUISITIONS IN EUROPE – CHALLENGES AND OPPORTUNITIES
- The Netherlands – The Delaware of Europe, or the last refuge of scoundrels and stichtings? Mylan-Teva-Perrigo and beyond.
- Protecting national champions and jobs; works councils and beyond
- Holdout Banditry – Will Europe find a cure?
- Panels, Pills and Politics – Is there a happy medium?
Deputy Director General, The Takeover Panel
Co-Head of M&A Shareholder Advisory, Goldman Sachs
Nayan Gregory Parekh
Partner, New Rhein Healthcare Investors
General Counsel, Europe/Asia, CRH plc
Senior Advisor, Lazard
General Counsel and Company Secretary, hibu
4:00PM – 5:00PM
STEERING THE GLOBAL ACQUIROR THROUGH VOLATILE MARKETS AND RAPIDLY CHANGING INDUSTRIES
Alban de la Sablière
Head of M&A, Sanofi
Corporate Secretary, Bouygues S.A.
Secretary General, Publicis Groupe
Cary A. Kochman
Managing Director and Head of North American Mergers & Acquisitions Group, Citigroup (moderator)
General Counsel, DIAGEO plc
Chief Strategy Officer, GlaxoSmithKline
COCKTAILS & DINNER
Middle Temple Lane
DINNER PROGRAM: A CONVERSATION ABOUT CORPORATE GOVERNANCE, LONG-TERM GROWTH AND VALUE CREATION, SHAREHOLDERS, AND ACTIVISM
Founding Partner, Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz